IRA – USA fights against slavery, racism, and gender oppression in Mauritania. The founding board members include Biram Dah Abeid (honorary president of IRA – USA), Bakary Tandia, Jerry Herman, Sykam Sy, and Alice Bullard.
We work directly and on a daily basis with Biram Dah Abeid’s organization, IRA – Mauritanie.
Our activities include:
- freeing Biram Dah Abeid (President of IRA), Brahim Bilal Ramdhane (Vice President of IRA – Mauritanie) and Djiby Sow (President of Kawtal) who have been in prison since November 11, 2014
- the Maison des Esclaves project is a major project in the fund-raising stage (watch our video on this project)
- Ould Mkhaitir: advocating for Ould Mkhaitir who was sentenced to death for hypocrisy (aggravated apostasy)
- supporting recently escaped slaves in their efforts to prosecute their former masters and in building new lives
- reforming the laws in Mauritania
- reforming the judiciary in Mauritania
- reporting to U.S. State Department Trafficking in Persons office
- reporting to African Growth and Opportunity Act eligibility review committee
- organizing international opinion, petitions, and media in support of human rights in Mauritania
In addition to working with IRA – Mauritanie, we also work with other Mauritanian human rights organizations such as Association Femmes Chef de Famille (AFCF) run by Aminetou Moctar, Association Mauritanien pour les Droits de l’Homme (AMDH) run by Fatimatou M’Baye, and SOS-esclaves run by Boubacar Messaoud.
In the United States IRA – USA is supports, and works with, state level IRA organizations.
On the international level we partner frequently with Anti-Slavery International, Amnesty International, PEN (in relation to the Ould Mkhaitir case), the Unrepresented Peoples Organization (UNPO), Walk Free, Avaaz and more. Through these alliances and through joint actions our strength is multiplied and our impact grows.
Please consider making a donation to fund the work of IRA – USA